Re: gEDA-user: US Distributor for Balloon Board

On 4/5/11 9:47 AM, rickman wrote:
I also have an interest in testing the Green Arrays GA144
multiprocessor. This device has 144 processors running at 666 MIPS each
consuming less than a Watt with all running full bore. They are async
processors and stop on a dime when waiting for input dropping power
consumption to virtually nothing (100 nW per processor) able to resume
processing at full speed in a fraction of a ns. They just need to
identify a killer app and these devices will take off.

Oh wow, I hadn't heard of the GA144. It's another Chuck Moore special, and it looks REALLY spectacular. I must get my hands on one of these. Have you managed to get samples?

The one aspect
that may turn off a lot of potential users is the tiny on-chip memory,
only 64 words in each processor. But external memory can be connected of
course. This chip is not programmed in C, so you can do a lot more with
very little memory. I think of it more like an FPGA than an MCU. A Field
Programmable Processor Array, FPPA.

Well, that just requires an adjustment to peoples' way of thinking. Far too many people who call themselves "embedded systems designers" these days think an "embedded system" is a big SBC running some variant of Windows with bloated C++ code eating dozens of megabytes of memory. Truly high-tech stuff like the GA144 simply isn't targeted at that part of the world.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL