Re: gEDA-user: Spam Email to This List

On 4/13/2011 8:56 AM, gedau@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 01:02:40PM +0100, Andrew Seddon wrote:
Yes I got this.

OT: I'm new hear so please feel free to ignore this comment, but might
it be worth switching to google groups or similar? The interface is
nice and you can use it like a traditional mailing list if desired.
Last year we tried that for challenge24 to remove some load from our
servers during the contest. It works fine as long as you are using web
and especially if you have google account, but for a plain, non-google
user with email only it wasn't that good. I can not recall what exactly
went wrong, but I remember we had to switch back to mailman running on
our own server.

I personally would be more happy to keep the mailing list "private" - of
course I am not the one who contributes hosting, bandwidth or admin
time.

I hope this thread doesn't go on too long. I had received email from this guy at another address so I wasn't sure if the problem had something to do with my security or if he had harvested from this group. I guess it was the latter.

I think there is a lot of private email sent as a result of things discussed on this list. So making the list private might not be the best way to handle the spam. In fact, I've only gotten one spam email from this list that I can remember so clearly the problem isn't very bad. That isn't why I posted about this.

I respond to business related spam by asking them to call me. If they are lucky they get the answering machine. If they get me, I ask them a million questions about how they got my email address. That always seems to piss them off measurably. If everyone did this, they would soon change their thinking about sending spam for business purposes.

Rick