Re: gEDA-user: Editting others symbols in gschem

Hi Rich,

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Rich Walker wrote:

> We have a symbol library that is shared. When users attempt to
> modify files owned by other users, and the file is group-writeable,
> and they are in the same group as the file, all is fine and dandy.
>
> But when the file is *not* group-writeable, gschem doesn't give any
> error when the file is saved! Big problem!
>
> Can this be fixed?

I don't find this "easy" fixable. The program checks only if the local
user _can_ write, it doesn't care about group persmissions.

The simplest and quickest solution would probably be to make some system
calls in gschem when saving to make sure group rights are correct. The fix
should be in your local copy since I think it is a not good to put this
limit on _all_ gschem users. But what do I'm not sure.

A technical inclined solution:
The Real Good Thing(TM) to do here should probably be to add a guile hook
called save-hook (which sends the filename to the hooked functions) and
add a guile script that checks all permissions to your satisfaction.

Regards,
/spe
! Stefan Petersen, MSc EE         !  \
! http://www.stacken.kth.se/~spe/ !    \_________________________