Re: gEDA-user: Editting others symbols in gschem

In message <Pine.LNX.4.21.0108172240320.27248-100000@localhost>
          Stefan Petersen <spe@stacken.kth.se> wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Rich Walker wrote:
>
> > We have a symbol library that is shared. When users attempt to
> > modify files owned by other users, and the file is group-writeable,
> > and they are in the same group as the file, all is fine and dandy.
> >
> > But when the file is *not* group-writeable, gschem doesn't give any
> > error when the file is saved! Big problem!
> >
> > Can this be fixed?
>
> I don't find this "easy" fixable. The program checks only if the local
> user _can_ write, it doesn't care about group persmissions.

Sorry; I've not described the problem correctly.

fred opens pic.sym
pic.sym has permissions "rw-r--r-- bert users"
fred works for a while on pic.sym
Then fred saves pic.sym

 *NOTHING HAPPENS*.
No error. No modification of the file. No indication that the file
is not changed.

This is a bit of a problem!

[snip solutions]

--