Re: gEDA-user: Editting others symbols in gschem

In message <200108230045.f7N0j4302005@moria.mit.edu>
          Ales Hvezda <ahvezda@seul.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> [snip]
> >fred opens pic.sym
> >pic.sym has permissions "rw-r--r-- bert users"
> >fred works for a while on pic.sym
> >Then fred saves pic.sym
> >
> > *NOTHING HAPPENS*.
> >No error. No modification of the file. No indication that the file
> >is not changed.
>

> 	I do ack that there is no major indication of this failure,

Just did another check:

when fred has group write but not user write, and saves the file, he gets:

o_save: Could not open [filename]
Saved As [filename].

and the file on disk is not modified :<

If the log window is small, you only see Saved As...

> however, do you have the log window open?  There should be a crypting
> message saying "cannot open filename... blah" which means that gschem
> could not save the file.  If you don't see this, then that's very serious.

It took me a while to realise that various status things can only be
discovered through watching the logfile! Unfortunately, the guy who
was hacking the symbols doesn't like the log window (clutters his
screen) so he doesn't have it displayed most of the time...

> Either way, do people want a slightly more drastic notification?

Yes please. Failure to save a file should be very obvious!

> If so, what?

Popup? "I can't save this file. This is probably a bad thing."

cheers, Rich.

--
Rich Walker: rw@shadow.org.uk (Shadow Robot Project)
http://www.shadow.org.uk        251 Liverpool Road