Re: gEDA-user: Footprint does not exists when it does?

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:08:16 -0400
Bob Paddock <bpaddock@csonline.net> wrote:

> n PCB there are a large number of foot prints that I can select and place.
>
> However when I try to use these footprint names in gschem then run
> gschem2pcb or gsch2pcb I get errors like this:
>
> Error: the footprint 0805_wave_solder for the device B1 does not exist
>
> 0805_wave_solder exists in /usr/local/share/pcb/newlib/generic_SMD_packages/ .
>
> However it seems the gEDA can only find the foot prints that are located in
> /usr/local/share/pcb/m4 .
>
> How to I get gEDA to be able to use all of the footprint names that PCB can use?

These PCB packages are not m4 database style and I think you can't get
it to work mucking with m4 include files.  The common.m4 include lines
need m4 .inc files and generic_SMD_packages is a directory of PCB element
files and not m4 style elements.

So gschem2pcb can't handle this and it is the reason for gsch2pcb.  You
should be able to run:

    gsch2pcb -d /usr/local/share/pcb/newlib ...

and 0805_wave_solder will be picked up as a "file element".

Bill

--------
Bill Wilson <bill@gkrellm.net>
http://gkrellm.net