gEDA-user: Rv: trying to understand technology rendering

I'm a newbie to the electronic design SUPER sport
 (yes, this is not a blind resend) hoping to use some
gEDA tools to design small circuits which i may be
able to implement myself with of-the-shelf components.

 I've been reading about verilog and VHDL and
synthesis and i've done small examples which seemingly
synthesize well with Icarus. But i'm stuck there. The
reason is that i don't understand all the level of
complexity in analog/digital circuit design. The
symbols you use into the board designs are just
"print" symbols or they contain links to behaviour
that can be translated into simulation formats? I know
 this is a question that may be interpreted as those
that heighen the signal-2-noise ratio in every ML, but
please consider that this information is not all
widely available. So please, consider,at least, to add
a sensible answer to the gEDA FAQ, even if you think
i'm too ugly to have an answer.

Running on:
1.5 Ghz P4
256Mb