Re: gEDA-user: Lead Free at home?

On Wednesday 17 August 2005 03:18 am, David Hart wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-08-14 at 11:22 -0400, Bob Paddock wrote:
> > With the new European directives for being lead free, and to have
> > products easy to recycle etc. I was wondering how you where getting ready
> > for it?
> >
> > What should I be doing for the one-off toaster oven kind of projects I do
> > at home, to make them lead free?   Obviously I know don't use parts or
> > solder with lead.  :-)  What are the alternatives for low volume proto
> > work?
> >
> > I expect to be doing a lot more boards soon, and with more and more parts
> > only coming in lead free packages, figured it was better to start out
> > being lead free, rather than deal with switching later.
>
> Of course, the IPC Leadfree web-site is probably the best source here in
> the US:
>
>     http://leadfree.ipc.org/
>
> You will find the Leadfree e-mail list at:
>
>     http://www.ipc.org/contentpage.asp?PageID=4.3.1  Simply sign up by
> following the links, or browse the e-mail archives.
>
> And, the various lead free standards can be obtained (for a fee) at the
> IPC:
>
>     http://webvision.ipc.org/scripts/mgrqispi.dll?
> APPNAME=IPCWEB&PRGNAME=TOCFRAME&ARGUMENTS=-N,-N,-A,-A,-N50
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> By the way, I recommend Virtex Assembly services
> (http://www.virtexassembly.com), a contract design/fab/assemply house
> specializing in prototype and pre-production designs.  They do
> everything from circuit design, to board design, to fab.  They are on
> the forefront of the lead free technology.  I've worked with their
> Engineering Services Director for years, and give them high marks.  If
> you have a difficult problem, they are the team to go to for a solution.

We use Kester products here at work and have been happy with the results.
They offer a lead free product line as well as a great deal of information
regarding their use. For a list of their lead free products, go here:

http://www.kester.com/en-us/products/prodcat_results.aspx?Search=solder%20paste%20lead%20free

Recommended uses of their lead free products go here:

http://www.kester.com/en-us/leadfree/recommendations.aspx

A web site they have that is all about the practical usage of lead free go
here:

http://www.kester.com/en-us/leadfree/index.aspx

Information regarding the using lead free products with manufacturing
and rework equipment is also available. For instance, we have a lot of Pace
rework stations (MBT series as well as hot air) and ERSA dark IR stations.
Both companies have information regarding the use of their equipment
with lead free products.

FWIW, many toaster ovens sold today utilize dark IR. You might want to google
"dark IR lead free solder paste". My guess is that you'll get information
that can be used in implimenting a dark IR toaster with lead free products.

The IPC site is good for learning about lead free initiatives and
what the law is/isn't/could be. But, the site does not address the practical
use of lead free solder and solder pastes. The site is more of guide than
anything else.

Regards

Marvin