Re: gEDA-user: footprint measurement units naming

On 8/20/05, phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "centimil" and "centithou" both mix imperial and metric units and are thus
> quite illogical.  Any other ideas on what I should be calling these things?
>
> Phil Taylor

The very concept of a "mil" is itself a mixture of metric and imperial
units -- 1 mil = 0.001 inches = 1 milli-inch.

Since the concept of a mil "metricizes" the imperial unit of an inch,
there is no disgrace in using metric prefixes in front of it.  I
rather like the idea of defining a foot as 12 kilomils.  ;D

I just wish the industry at large would just drop imperial units
all-together, and adopt SI units once and for all.  But, that won't
happen until long after I die.  :)

--
Samuel A. Falvo II