Re: gEDA-user: footprint measurement units naming

On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 13:58 -0700, Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:
> On 8/20/05, phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > "centimil" and "centithou" both mix imperial and metric units and are thus
> > quite illogical.  Any other ideas on what I should be calling these things?
> >
> > Phil Taylor
>
> The very concept of a "mil" is itself a mixture of metric and imperial
> units -- 1 mil = 0.001 inches = 1 milli-inch.
>
> Since the concept of a mil "metricizes" the imperial unit of an inch,
> there is no disgrace in using metric prefixes in front of it.  I
> rather like the idea of defining a foot as 12 kilomils.  ;D
>
> I just wish the industry at large would just drop imperial units
> all-together, and adopt SI units once and for all.  But, that won't
> happen until long after I die.  :)
>
> --
> Samuel A. Falvo II

Is that better the the horrendous DIN14159 metrification of 0.1" grid?
Can anybody draw up a 100x160 Eurocard & know where the grid is supposed
to be without pulling out a spec or "trial by fudge"?  I had  DOS Protel
templates ~15 yrs ago but lost all when a HDD decided to lapp the
heads.
--
Greg Cunningham