Re: gEDA-user: Lead Free at home?

On Monday 22 August 2005 05:41 am, Dave wrote:

> > Lead is not the only metal that prohibits the growth of tin whiskers.
> > In fact, silver, palladium and copper all prohibit the growth of tin
> > whisker as good or better (specifically, Sliver and palladium) than lead.
> > When
>
> [snip]
>
> I think Kool-amp powder is a better solution for homebrewers as it's (at
> least for me) more convenient and much less hazardous than the recipies
> you posted.  The only drawback seems to be that it's pricy stuff.

Indeed, thiorea is dangerous when handled with impunity. However, some readers
on this list, me included, are employed in this industry. With that said,
kool amp is massively over priced. If you want to homebrew your own kool amp
at a fraction of the cost, here is how you make it:

 1 part Silver Nitrate
 2 part table salt
 2 parts potassium hydrogen tartrate (Cream of Tartar will work)

Kool Amp does not have potassium hydrogen tartrate in it, but has
calcium carbonate. But, potassium hydrogen tartrate works just as
well as calcium carbonate.

Mix it up and store it in a UV blocking bottle (Brown glass or plastic).

Regards Marvin