gEDA-user: Next spin of CD installer available

Hi guys --

I belive I have fixed the problem with installing wxGTK as root.  I
believe the problem was that the "make" process took too long, and
caused the installer to time out in the middle of an expect session.

Compounding that problem was that the installer didn't refresh the
install log window while it was working on each command.  Therefore,
it just sat motionless for many, many minutes, causing users to think
the installer was hung, even though it was working.

I have fixed the installer so that it updates the log window (almost)
continually, so the user never gets the feeling that the installer has
hung, even when doing root-permission installs.  I have also changed
the timeouts a little bit.  The install process now works successfully
on my machine.

Please browse over to my website:

http://www.brorson.com/gEDA/

and grab the latest install CD and try it out.  In particular, if you
haven't installed wxGTK yet, I would be intersted to hear your
experience in using the CD to install it.  Or if you have already
installed wxGTK, but are willing to uninstall it & try re-installing
with the CD-based installer, please give it a try!  I am very keen to
see that I have fixed this particular bug, so if you had a problem
previously, please try again!

Note that I have received several suggestions from folks about how to
improve the CD.  Thank you, everybody!  I got these suggestions this
morning after I had created the 20050825 edition of the CD, so they
didn't make it in to this release.  I appreciate the interest and will
work to include many of the suggestions into the CD before I do the
final release (i.e. put the CD onto the gEDA website).  In any event,
I am still waiting for ngspice-16 to be "officially" released, so
there is still  time to make improvements to the CD.  Meanwhile,
though, I do want to verify that the root-permission install stuff is
now working better.

Complaints, bug-reports, and comments are always welcome!

Stuart