Re: gEDA-user: installation problem

Hi --

Some comments:

1.  About the installer:

> The rest of the installation worked just fine. Congratulations!

> >The function that make possible to pursue the installation when the
> >compilation of one program fails is very great. Very well done!

Thanks for the compliments!  I crafted the installer so that it would
be robust, and would continue installing other things even if it died
on one particular tool.

2.  As for the ngspice problem:  That's a new one.  It is evidently a
problem with ngspice, not with the installer.  What version/kernal rev
of Linux are you using?

Also, I didn't see your post on the ngspice-dev list.  Perhaps you
need to re-send it?

3.  As for the wxGTK problems:  I get them too.  I guess I didn't test
that particular facility enough.  *embarressed blush*

My current hypothesis is that the build of wxGTK takes too long, and
the installer times out.  Installation of all root-permission packages
is done using pexpect, which is an "expect" package for Python.
Installation of normal user-permission stuff is done using straight
Python system calls.  The expect stuff is more fragile.

The expect session is supposed to catch timeouts gracefully.  I don't
know why it's not.  I will continue looking into this, and will
release a new CD when it is fixed.  I think this is important because
lots of distributions don't include wxGTK, and it is crucial that this
installation work properly.

Thanks for trying out the CD installer!

Stuart