Re: gEDA-user: Next spin of CD installer available

On Friday 26 August 2005 10:50 am, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> One other note:  SuSE 9.[012] personal edition didn't put a lot of .h
> files in the distribution.  THis may cause problems later in the
> build.  Be forewarned.  The fix is to install, for example, the
> XFree86-devel package, as well as some other *-devel packages.

We have use SuSE in our shop(And, I use it at home...) and have for years.
With that said, 9.1 professional and the downloadable version were huge
disapointments. In fact, we bitched  (With real complaints about real
problems) so much to SuSE/Novell, that when 9.2 was released they sent up
free copies of 9.2

We had problems from the day we installed 9.1 until 9.2 was available to us.
Almost everything that we used that was not part of the distribution would
not compile. Programs that should have compiled even though they were not
part of the distro would not... We ended up de-installing a lot of the
programming libraries and reinstalling them from original source. This solved
most of the problems, but every time we added a new app/program to the list
of things we used, we would hold our breath - Hoping it would compile.
Sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn't.

With that said, SuSE 9.2 and 9.3 play well with gEDA - Or at least as well as
Fedora and Debian. My advice is to dump SuSE 9.1. It's more trouble than it's
worth and does not reflect the quality that the SuSE/Novell distribution is
known for.

Regards

Marvin