Re: gEDA-user: Expert help needed - gschem/ngspice etc...

On Jul 31, 2006, at 10:09 PM, John Coppens wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 21:00:39 -0600
John Doty <jpd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Slotting is a fabrication concept. SPICE doesn't understand slotting.
Don't use it in your sims.

Hi John...

Thanks for the reply. I thought the idea of gEDA was to make a complete
package, including fabrication and simulation. Actually, it's not SPICE
that's complaining either - it's the netlister which isn't happy.

Since SPICE doesn't deal with slots, the netlister doesn't know how to tell it what to do.

gEDA *is* a complete package: it can compose schematics for simulation or for fabrication. But simulation is device and subcircuit oriented, while fabrication is part oriented. They aren't the same thing, and I think trying to do this mapping would make symbol creation incomprehensible to many. Note that if you download a SPICE model for a quad opamp from a manufacturer you'll actually get a model of just one section. It's a common problem, not specific to gEDA.

You can spend $100k/yr on EDA and still struggle with this issue (been there, done that).

jpd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx