gEDA-user: Multiple footprint methodology?

Hello,

Total gEDA noobie here, but my first encounter with EDA workstations was about 1983, so I know the vocabulary and the work flow. But I have a looooong learning curve to climb in terms of "how gEDA does it".

This is probably a FAQ, but after searching the archives I couldn't see anything that was relevant and up to date.

My specific question:

Given a part with two or more packages, how should the footprint mapping be defined in the symbol? My specific example: ATMega88 has three: PDIP, TQFP, and MLF. It is desirable to be able to simply flip an attribute to go from a through-hole board to surface mount, so it seems to me you want the same schem symbol to be net-listable either way with no other changes to the schematic other than an attribute change.

Related question:

In the case of the ATMega88, the TQFP-32 version of the part brings out more I/O than the PDIP-28 version. Soo... choices. 1) Define all the pins, but don't map them to PDIP-28? Will net lister issue warnings? 2) different symbol? Icky, because you would like to switch packages without deleting/inserting a symbol.

Another related question:

ATMega88 is actually one of a family of 3 parts: ATMega48, ATMega88, ATMega168 which have identical pin-outs but different sizes of internal memory. Again, if you have a board designed around an ATMega48 and go "oooooops -- code bloat -- need an ATMega88", then it would be nice to be able to flip an attribute and get a new BOM.

TIA,
  Dave