Re: gEDA-user: Multiple footprint methodology?

On 8/2/06, Dave N6NZ <n6nz@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
In the case of the ATMega88, the TQFP-32 version of the part brings out
more I/O than the PDIP-28 version. Soo... choices. 1) Define all the
pins, but don't map them to PDIP-28?  Will net lister issue warnings? 2)
different symbol?  Icky, because you would like to switch packages
without deleting/inserting a symbol.

For similar parts with different packages (and different pinouts) I usually make a symbol filename with a package suffix --- such as ATMega88_TQFP32.sym or ATMega88-DIP28.sym

I am not sure how you could just switch from a 32 pin device to a 28
pin device without editing nets. What happens to the four orphan nets
when you switch from a TQFP-32 to a DIP-28?

ATMega88 is actually one of a family of 3 parts: ATMega48, ATMega88,
ATMega168 which have identical pin-outs but different sizes of internal
memory.

Since the pinout is identical you may want to communicate the different size of internal memory with a note or an attribute value. Displaying a "manufacturer_part_number" attribute may also work.

Again, if you have a board designed around an ATMega48 and go
"oooooops -- code bloat -- need an ATMega88", then it would be nice to
be able to flip an attribute and get a new BOM.

For BOMs I create attributes called "manufacturer" and "manufacturer_part_number". If you need to change part numbers edit the "manufacturer_part_number" attribute.

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org