gEDA-user: Background picture in pcb?

Hi.

The geometry of my current geda layout needs to fit into a non rectangular
shape. There is a 3D model of the design (VariCAD) from which the shape can
be derived and exported in postscript format. The pcb man page says, a ppm
image can be loaded into the background of the design. So I used ps2epsi
and pstopnm to convert the postscript drawing the outline to eps and
subsequently to ppm. The resulting black and white ppm renders fine in
general viewers such as eog. But if I try to include the graphics with
the -background option, it just won't.
        pcb -background laserplatinen.ppm laserplatinen.pcb
No error messages, but no graphics in the background either. Do I have to
use a switch to activate the image?

Any other idea?
Perhaps a way to convert the dxf drawing to pcb?

---<(kaimartin)>---
PS: My version of pcb is 20050609, the one currently in debian repository.
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
http://lilalaser.de/blog