Re: gEDA-user: New features in gattrib

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, al davis wrote:

>One feature I would like to see is the ability to immediately
>pass updates to a running gschem.
>
>This would involve opening a pipe between the two programs, and
>passing the update as a message.  With a pair of pipes it could
>go both ways.

<snip>

I would suggest using sockets instead of pipes if you want two-way
communication between the two processes. There's no much difference
between using UNIX domain sockets (AF_LOCAL) and TCP/IP on code level, but
UNIX domain sockets are usually as fast as pipes. This means once you
implement sockets instead of pipes, it will become much easier to change
it from local sockets to TCP/IP which opens up possibilites like
clustering, remote simulation, etc.

Igor2