Re: gEDA-user: Renumber in PCB/Was/Is List

It should work like the renumber in gschem, the first digit is maintained as normally R is for resistor, C for capacitor, and so on.

From: Dan McMahill <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: gEDA-user: Renumber in PCB/Was/Is List
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:58:57 -0400

Mike Hansen wrote:
I do find this useful(of course it was me that started the thread). My schematic workflow may not be the best. I just plunk down refdes's that are unique and then when I get to the PCB I would like to simply renumber and then do a was/is on the schematic once I am done.

Just to be clear, DJ was talking about the case where R1## are on page 1, R2## on page 2, etc and was suggesting that a board level renumbering wouldn't mess with the 1st digit. It is this particular case where you're trying to maintain some of the schematic numbering where I wondered if renumbering from the layout made sense. In the case were you're globally renumbering from layout I can certainly see that it would be a preference for some people.

In this day of automation the part numbering on the PCB may not be as big a deal as it once was...back in the day the board stuffers had people sitting on row after row of benches stuffing parts into the PCB and sending them off to wave soldering. It was a good idea to keep part numbers in a logical order so that they weren't searching for the next part to stuff on the board.

But even when I do protos I find myself lost on the board if there isn't a logical order.

I will see if I can squeeze in some time to look at the example code to perform this task.

ok. I actually made a little more progress, but there are some details left on what it should do to be worked out.