Re: gEDA-user: Fun challenge: cat-5 cable tester

You know, before reading the intended schematic, I was thinking, OK,
let's see what the simplest possible tester I could come up with would
be.

---+

  |---------------->>----------+
  |                            |
  |----------------<<--------+ |
  |                          | |
  |       +-------->>--------+ |
 \/\      | +------<<----------+
          | |
          | +------>>----------+
          +--------<<--------+ |
                             | |
          +-------->>--------+ |
          | +------<<----------+
          | |
          | <
          |  >
          | <  100R0
          |  >
          | <
          |  >
          | |
          +-+

The basic idea is that you use all the pairs of the cable wired in
series, and use relatively fast logic (74ACT at the very least) to build
what amounts to be a time-domain reflectometer.  Note that there are no
batteries on the remote end of this either.

:)

--
Samuel A. Falvo II