Re: gEDA-user: Rules of thumb for MOVs?

On Mon, 2006-08-28 at 11:29 -0400, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> Hi Guys --
>
> I have an electronics-type question, and perhaps I can try to tap into
> the knowledgebase on geda-user.
>
> I need to use some MOVs on my AC input power lines to cut down voltage
> transients which seem to make some of our instruments queasy.  I was
> wondering if anybody is familiar enough with these devices to offer
> some advice about their usage in such an application.  In particular,
> rules of thumb about what amperage rating to choose would be of great
> help!
>
> Anybody familiar with MOVs?
>
> Stuart

Stuart,

It's been several years since I've use these devices, but yes, I am
familiar with them.  We used them on a project associated with the
Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) that I worked on.

If I recall just how they operate, they will trigger either on over-
voltage (such as a lightning strike) over on over-current.  With the
latter in mind, they need to be sized by something like a factor of 5 or
greater over the average current they need to support.  In this
connection, be mindful of surge effects associated with board turn-on,
as that can cause them to trigger also.

To enhance their protection features, they need to be located as close
as possible to where the voltage source is actually applied to the
board.

Good luck.

	Harold Skank