Re: gEDA-user: Rules of thumb for MOVs?

On 8/28/06, Stuart Brorson <sdb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I need to use some MOVs on my AC input power lines to cut down voltage
transients which seem to make some of our instruments queasy.  I was
wondering if anybody is familiar enough with these devices to offer
some advice about their usage in such an application.  In particular,
rules of thumb about what amperage rating to choose would be of great
help!

There are some filtering and transient suppression ideas in the application notes at www.vicr.com. Vicor has some recommended filter designs for their AC input modules (HAMs, ARMs and AIMs) that include MOVs.

The MOV part numbers are Vicor part numbers but if you take a look at
the MOV specs you will be able to choose a suitable replacement.

There is also some application information on the Littelfuse website.

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org