Re: gEDA-user: HOWTO configure geda for heavy symbols?

On 8/29/06, Kai-Martin Knaak <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes, I know about the heavy/light symbol arguments, read through the
discussions and made up my mind. I won't need flexibility the light
approach offer -- no need to use zillions of different resistor models.
Quite the contrary, for economic reasons I will go out of my way to stick
with as little diversity as possible. In addition, gattrib adds numerous
possibilities of systematic error to the workflow and is generally is not
very smooth. Hence my desire to avoid this step.

Another option is to assign attributes using a script and a set of rules. Using a consistent set of rules will avoid the manual entry errors. You could also setup up project specific rules to override generic rules.

For example ---

 if (footprint is not defined) && (the component is a resistor)
    then footprint = '0805'
 if (footprint is not defined) && (the component is a capacitor) &&
(value < 0.1E-6)
    then footprint = '0603'

Using a database you could do more advanced assignments by looking at inventory,
preferred parts or lowest cost. Using vendor and manufacturer tables you could
assign BOM information.

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org