gEDA-user: HOWTO configure geda for heavy symbols?

Yes, I know about the heavy/light symbol arguments, read through the
discussions and made up my mind. I won't need flexibility the light
approach offer -- no need to use zillions of different resistor models.
Quite the contrary, for economic reasons I will go out of my way to stick
with as little diversity as possible. In addition, gattrib adds numerous
possibilities of systematic error to the workflow and is generally is not
very smooth. Hence my desire to avoid this step.

The docs state, that geda prefers light symbols but can be can be
configured for the heavy approach. Just what does this decision involve?

Footprint should be optionally visible and editable in the schematic. This
can be accomplished with the visibility flag and the action "hide specific
text". That way I can do exceptions interactively in gschem. Existing
symbols with hidden footprints are easy to modify. Every symbol needs a
default footprint attribute. I have to make up my mind about this anyway,
so this is no additional work. Anything else I have to adapt to the heavy
approach?

Now I already have some projects completed with light symbols. I find,
that symbols get updated but attributes changed to visible do not get
promoted if I open these old schematics. Is there any way to promote the
attributes of elements already instantiated?

---<(kaimartin)>---

--
Kai-Martin Knaak
http://lilalaser.de/blog