Re: gEDA-user: CD ISO install Issues

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Ales Hvezda wrote:

[snip]
[arthur@in ~]$ pgadmin3
Fatal Error: Mismatch between the program and library build versions detected.
 The library used 2.6 (no debug,Unicode, compiler with C++ ABI 1002,wx contai
ners,compatible with 2.4), and your program used 2.6 (no debug,Unicode,compile
r with C++ ABI 1002,wx containers,compatible with 2.2,compatible with 2.4).
Aborted.

[snip]

Perhaps the issue is not guile but the flags you used in compiling several mod
ules.  In that case perhaps reinstalling FC5 isn't such a bad idea.  Please le
t me know when you have this fixed.

This e-mail thread has been puzzling me, until I realized that is not guile messing things up (especially since pgAdmin doesn't use guile), but instead we are talking about wxWidgets (which happens to be around version 2.6) that is compiled/installed by Stuart's installer. That's where the problem lies. Try reinstalling wxWidgets and see if that fixes pgAdmin.

	Stuart, I know you don't want to hear this (again), but if you
installed guile and wxWidgets, pkgconfig, etc... into a single $prefix
and then setup a few environment variables (I can tell you exactly
which ones), you would require the user to enter a root password and/or
change their running system.  All of the gEDA suite could be contained
in one directory.  Maybe this should be my next code sprint task.

I'm kinda against this because it requires the user to set the env variables. I admit he needs to set them to point to ${GEDA}/bin etc. anyway, however, so my critique is weak.

Also, I like to put system dependencies (wxWidgets, guile, etc) into
the system library locations (/usr/local or /usr hierarchy).  This is
again personal preference, not based upon strong arguments.

In principle, my installer should have detected Arthur's previous
wxWidgets installation, and left it alone.  However, it's possible
that his installation of wxWidgets lacked something like the .h files
or wx-config or something like that.  Modern distros like to leave out
crucial parts of system packages -- I guess they think they are saving
more space on their CDs for games and MP3 players.  Also, people
installing things on their own machines using rpms or debs or whatever
usually only install the required binaries, and not the header files
and other developement bits.  Anyway, this presents a major problem
for my installer since it must check for multiple pieces of a package
before deciding that enough of the package is present to build stuff
from scratch.

We can talk more about it at the code sprint.  However, my lazy nature
is tending to just leave the installer alone.  It does give the user
the option to install the dependencies by hand before it installs the
dependencies.  I am finding that a number of users are doing it this
way.

Stuart