gEDA-user: Vericad?

Guys,

I'm toying around with the idea of purchasing a Linux-based mechanical
CAD package.  I recall that several geda-users have mentioned in the
past that they use Vericad.

I'd like to hear opinions about Vericad -- positive and negative --
particularly from folks who've used it.  Are there better packages out
there (for Linux) now?  Is Vericad worth the $500 cost?  Is it
overkill for creating 2D drawings of mechanical parts for the local
job shop, or underkill?  Does it support DXF adequately so that it
interoperates with other CAD tools nicely?

TIA,

Stuart