Re: gEDA-user: Vericad?

Have you looked at brl-cad or qcad.
BRL-Cad is nice but I don't know what state the DXF output is in. It
is however free so it can't hurt to try. QCad has DXF but I have had
issues with it in the past. You might want to check with some of the
Linux-CNC people.

Hi --

Thanks for the pointers.  Yes, I have downloaded BRL-CAD and built it
on a couple of machines.  BRL-CAD is really a 3D modeling program.
that is, you use it to create 3D models of equipment and scenes for
visualization.  It really isn't optimized for creating mechanical
drawings.  Also, creating 3D models using mged (the drawing editor)
requires using a CLI which I have only incompletely learned (and now
forgotten anyway).  Finally, BRL-CAD is a biiiiiiig system, and I
haven't learned it all.  In any event, it isn't optimized for what I
want to do, which is basically drafting.

QCad is OK, but it's a PITA to drive.  Drawing any primitive (line,
circle, etc)  reqires at least four mouse clicks on the tool pallate.
Also, the F/OSS version doesn't support polylines.

I have played with Pythoncad in the past, but it is nowhere near ready
for my use yet.  Unfortunately.

Anybody whose used them have opinions on Vericad vs. QCad?

Stuart