gEDA-user: gsch2pcb: Could not find refdes on component...

Hello,

I'm a bit confused about the error message "Could not find refdes on
component and could not find any special attributes!" from gsch2pcb. It
seems that this message comes from the missing refdes attribute of the
input-1.sym, output-1.sym, gnd-1.sym etc. symbols. I could now edit the
symbols and add the refdes attribute, to get rid of the message.
However, I don't need a visible refdes attribute in the schematics
(obviously).  Does the missing refdes attribute affect the pcb layout in
any way or is it just a cosmetic thing? I guess, the netlist will just
be made out of the net attribute which is of course present for all such
symbols.

Markus