Re: gEDA-user: Some more questions to pcb

On 04/08/07 17:00:14, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > While moving my whole board layout I somehow managed to get the
> > rectangle sourrunding the board becomming displaced to the grid. It
> > used to be exactly on the grid of .25mm but now I cant get it onto
> > the grid any more.
>
> Sometimes that happens when (1) you're mixing metric and english
> grids, or (2) you accidentally pick it up (or put it down) from a
> pad-snap instead of a grid point.  Disable snap-to-pad when moving the
> whole board.
>
> To fix it, you'll need snap-to-pad ON.  Select the whole board again,
> and pick it up from the outline's endpoints (making sure you snap to
> those), then put it down on a grid point.
>
> > Also I wonder what the units are for the gerber drill hole cnc file?
> > Can I set the units for that somewhere?
>
> Inch, no.  You can edit src/hid/gerber/gerber.c if you really need
> metric.

Is  inch the standard for gerber fabrication? My friends CNC machine only does
metric.

> > Is there a sparse display buffer option, so that when I have the
> > whole bord in the copy buffer pcb doesn't draw the outline of all
> > parts and therefor moves the buffer quicker?
>
> No.  You could try the lesstif gui, it has a different draw-board
> method and, while not always faster, sometimes has a better response
> time.

So lesstif gui is quite different to gtk? Which one is recommended?

Something I forgot: While soldering my first board today I  noticed  that  the
caption of smd resistors (8050) have their caption above the component. Having
turned one of them 180 degrees and move them side by side I  ended  up  having
the  caption  of  the  other  one  within the outline. That can easyly lead to
missplaced components. Is there a way to make the  caption  start  within  the
outline of the component? With caps 8050 is all fine.

Thanks for the quick answers
Lynx