gEDA-user: New gEDA user:

I just started trying to work with gschem and pcb, and I'm way down on
the learning curve.

Is there an up-to-date version of the PCB manual available?  I
downloaded the one from http://pcb.sourceforge.net/manual.html but it
has a lot of variation from the actual program. (The versions I'm using
are 20060822 under Gentoo, and the more recent version under Fedora 7).

For example, the manual lists these menus in the Getting Started section:

- "Screen" - I think it has been renamed to "View"
- "Sizes" - No such item on the Menu bar. -- where is it?

The manual has a whole section on "The Panner" (3.1.3) -- but there
ain't no such animal.
The manual talks about a Layer Control panel (3.1.4) -- No such thing,
but there are layer controls under File-> Preferences. Same thing,
different place? And so on...

The problem could be something(s) in how the packages I have were
built.  But the screen shot from the project page has exactly the same
look & elements I have on my version.  So I think the documentation has
just grown stale.

Another Question:

In section 3.5 there is a line stating:  "You can also toggle the
45-degree clipping in the middle of a point intersection by pressing the
<Key>...".  The string "Key" is in italics, and there is no qualifier
after it. Just "<Key>".  What is this "<Key>"?   From the context of
other key sequence descriptions I thought it indicated that a normal key
was pressed; for example the use in 3.5.1 of "Shift<Key>r" being a
particularly top-heavy way to indicate "R".

I checked the Window -> Key Reference to see what this  might mean, but
nothing seemed to be relevant.

Can someone please clarify?

Thanks.

  --Jim