gEDA-user: L-shaped pad; Comments in fp file?

Question 1:

Regarding those "structural" pads I asked about yesterday (by the way,
thanks for all of the great answers!),  a Molex surface mount connector
I'm using recommends L-shaped solder pads to anchor the connector to the
board.  Visualize this as a square divided into quadrants, and one of
them removed.

Is the correct way to create such pads to make two short, fat lines of
different lengths side by side so that their widths make them just
touch?  Is it OK for pads to overlap?

Question 2:

Does the file format for defining footprints support comments?  It seems
this would be useful when hand crafting complex files.

Thanks!

  --Jim