Re: gEDA-user: Easy way to explode an element ?

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:29:44 -0600, armdeveloper wrote:

>  Now I would like to "explode" that element and move the pins
> so that they are 5mm apart.  Is there an easy way to do this ?
>
> Is it possible at all ?

Yes.
This is my preferred way to derive new footprints from existing ones.
You'll find the necessary tools in the Buffer menu.

1) Select the element
2) Do "Cut selection to buffer"
3) Do "Break buffer elements into pieces". Pads will mutate to lines.
4) Left-mouse-click on the canvas to place the "exploded" footprint
5) Do your edits
6) Select the footprint again
7) Do "Cut selection to buffer"
8) Do "Convert buffer to element"
9) choose buffer tool and left-mouse-click on the canvas to place the
edited footprint. Pads are round now.
10) place the mouse over every pad and press "n" to restore the pad names
that were lost during the conversion process.
11) select all pads that need to be round
12) Do "Change square flag of selected Pins" from the select menu
13) Select the footprint and do "Cut selection to buffer"
14) Do "Save buffer elements to file"

Yes, this process is kind of a PITA, in particular step 8 to step 13.
These are only necessary to restore information that was lost during
explosion. But at least this is a working GUI-scenario.

---<(kaimartin)>---
PS: A similar recipe is in the wiki:
http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:pcb_tips#how_do_i_edit_change_an_existing_footprint
--