gEDA-user: printing, postscript and page size (under cygwin)

I'm experiencing the following, and not too sure where the problem
lies. I'm running gschem under cygwin (stable 20070626).

If I print and use the lpr command which is sending to the default
printer, which in this case is PDF creator (this generates some error
messages in PDF Creator along the way, but that is possibly another
story). It seems to always scale the actual output page size to a
Letter size. The schematic drawing looks scaled correctly (e.g. A4),
but the page size of the PDF (File -> Properties) is always a Letter
size.

If I follow the route of print to a file (.ps) and then convert to a
PDF the scaling is correct, but the document is not searchable, which
is really a requirement for me.

I thought that there might be some setting that the lpr command is
always outputting to a Letter page (in cygwin that is, not gschem).
Any thoughts?