Re: gEDA-user: Help ordering pcb

DJ Delorie wrote:
>> Do I need the unplated-drill.cnc file?
>
> If you have unplated holes (i.e. mounting holes), they'll be in there
> and NOT in the plated-drill file.  However, most fabs charge extra for
> unplated holes, if they accept them at all.  Most of us change them to
> plated holes so it's cheaper to have the board made.

But don't do that if you plan on wave soldering your board or you'll
solder your mounting holes shut.  But if this is for a home board it is
extremely unlikely that you have a wave solder system.  Yeah, I know
someone, perhaps Mr. McGuire, will pipe in that they have one :)

There are a few other special cases where you might not want to do that.
  Some crystals and also SAW filters come in packages that are metal
cans.  Often times you want an unplated hole and an opposite side pad to
avoid shorting to the package depending on how the thing lines up and if
there is some wicking of solder in the hole.

-Dan