gEDA-user: geda 1.4.0 in Hardy - is xgsch2pcb supposed to work now?

Having as my main - and not pleasant -  memory of using the geda/PCB
tools half a year ago be the incredibly annoying repetitive typing of
commands (both at the normal CLI, where the really common ones could be
scripted, as well as inside PCB, where... well, I never did, anyway), I
thought I'd take the fresh new install for a spin and give try
xgsch2pcb.  It worked fine for the project I'd finished half a year
ago, so I thought I'd give it a small piece of the upcoming one to try.
Had to create a symbol, yeah, boring and annoying, but old hat -
schematic entry went well enough, shook the rust off the muscle
memories.

Then xgsch2pcb just tanked.  Couldn't find any of my footprints.  I
couldn't find anything that said anything useful about how to tell it
where to find the footprints.  No provision for it at all, at all, int
he x-- interface.  Tried variations on the elemnts-dir lines shown in
one tutorial (buried under mounds of finger exercises - I do wish there
was documentation for this stuff, not just rambling, ill-organized
narratives.  no, sorry, I can't write it - if i could, I might be doing
it, and i certainly wouldn't need to ask this question.  oh, wait, you
aren't the project who always responds to complaints about the docs by
saying "so send a patch".  never mind...) ...

So if I pu them in the project then running gsch2pcb by hand works just
fine - finds the footprints as expected.  But if I load that project
file into xgsch2pcb, it just goes blank - all the controls grey, can't
do anything (it does show the right name in the PCB file slot, IIRC).

So what's the secret?  Or is this just something that needs another
year of simmering, as I think someone put it about a year ago?

Thanks.

--
And in the end, reality always tends to hit theory hard
in the face when you least expect it.  - Linus