gEDA-user: sot23 diode symbol

I know through the years there has been a lot of discussion on this issue but I haven't been able to find the answer to my problem after searching the archives.  I'm wondering how to refer to a 3 pin footprint with a two pin schematic symbol as is the case for a sot23 diode.  My actual question is probably simple for the experts out there.  I've already created a special symbol for a sot23 diode.  The actual symbol graphic is a normal diode that has 2 pins, pin 1 and pin3.  I believe I need to specify a pin 2 in the symbol textually somehow so that PCB layout software will match its 3 pin footprint to a schematically defined 3 pin device.  How do I annotate the gschem symbol for a pin 2 without a graphical entity to assign the pin to.  It's a no connect or unused pin so it needs no graphic but the symbol does need to have 3 pins when the netlist is generated for layout.

Thanks

Ed