Re: gEDA-user: vertical resistor footprint

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 11:51 PM, David Griffith <dgriffi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

>> did:http://www.gedasymbols.org/user/kai_martin_knaak/footprints/discrete/Resistor_thru_vertical2.fpBut
>> I hosed the link in my index --Doh!. Now, the link is fixed..
>
>> but I couldn't find it.  Please let me know what you think.
>
>> You put the resistor on the other side :-)
>> At my former day-job, lots of older projects had vertical resistors.
>> I think it was their way to avoid SMD as long as posssible.
>
> My logic is that pin-1 should be connected to whatever you're driving
> high, low, or attenuating.  The active signal will appear somewhere very
> convenient for probing -- at the top of the resistor.
>
> --
> David Griffith
> dgriffi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello!
Here's a giggle. Were all of you aware that vertical resistor mounts
were the norm during the early part of the US space program? And never
mind the fact that it accelerated the semiconductor business to its
present status.

They also advocated flatpack gold colored IC cases.

That, or ceramic bodied ones.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@xxxxxxxxx
"This signature was once found posting rude
 messages in English in the Moscow subway."