Re: gEDA-user: Footprints over the edge

> In general, it is best to set the PCB size larger than the board you
> intend to make, and define the size / shape of the manufactured board by
> drawing on a layer named "outline" (name is special magic to ensure PCB
> doesn't put through-hole pads on it).

What I did with my last board was to set the size a lot larger than
needed just like Peter suggests.  I then designed a footprint (with
edit) with the outline and mounting holes and fudged the schematic with
a symbol to call up the outline.  I then positioned the outline top left
and locked it.  I then added the ground plane rectangle and locked that.
It gets a bit awkward connecting mounting hole grounds to the ground
plane (if needed) as you have to unlock both the ground plane and
outline to zot the thermals onto the mounting holes then lock it.  It's
just awkward grabbing the right bit to lock.  Once layout was finished I
set the size to the desired size.  Regards Ian