Re: gEDA-user: Footprints over the edge

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 22:18 -0500, Martin Maney wrote:

> As it turns out, there are issues with having anything off the edge of
> the board.  As I was reminded when trying to juggle some changes found
> only after I'd reduced the board dimensions to the actual size (1), you
> aren't allowed to push silk over the edge.  In a simpler test
> situation, PCB didn't seem to be bothered by having the mark hanging
> off the board, but when I had tried to make changes to the real board
> after sizing it, I got all sorts of weird behavior.  Some things
> couldn't be moved.  At least once it locked up (well, nothing could be
> moved; exiting was an option).  At one point after making the changes -
> this was before I'd seen any of the odd behaviors - it would segfault
> trying to load the finished board.

If you have an example of the board which segfaulted, the PCB developers
might be interested to cure that bug.

In general, it is best to set the PCB size larger than the board you
intend to make, and define the size / shape of the manufactured board by
drawing on a layer named "outline" (name is special magic to ensure PCB
doesn't put through-hole pads on it).

Board vendors seem to do the "right thing" when handed these files, and
as a bonus, you can have some work area outside the board when placing
components.

GTK HID PCB has the board layout area available under:

File->Preferences...->Sizes

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton