Re: gEDA-user: Question for DJ about his alarm clock

On Aug 15, 2008, at 7:00 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

>> It's still relative. Take an electrically neutral object, place it in
>> an electrostatic shield. Raise the shield potential to a billion
>> volts above your reference point.
>
> Replace underpants when the lightning bolt fires.

A billion volts isn't all that much. A few years ago I heard a talk
by Roger Blandford in which he analyzed the rotating core of a
gravitationally collapsing star as electrical machinery. Electric
potentials generated were in the ZV range. Only time I've ever seen
the SI prefix "Z" actually used.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx