Re: gEDA-user: Using Gerbv

> Also, is making a home made two-sided board the same as DJ's one sided but
> ironing both solder masks on their respective sides?

It behooves one to make a one-sided board if possible.  Not sure of all of
DJ's techniques but I've made two-sided boards at home.  It works, but the
little problems are always magnified.

Most importantly you have to align the artwork on both sides.

I'd recommend drilling a few of the holes for your parts after imprinting
one side of the board ... and using these as the index points for your
second-side artwork.  Punch holes in the second side artwork before
ironing it on and slide it down onto pins in the holes you've drilled.

Another thing I've done at home for one-offs is to lay out a board in PCB
so that the traces are all really short ... and simply use adhesive spray
mount to put the 1:1 inkjet printout on a piece of 1/16" phenolic board to
use as a drill guide.  Then ... I DON'T etch the board but just twist and
hand-lace the back/solder-side having the benefit of the components being
optimally arranged and with most nets being laced with the excess
leadstock from the components.  Then if I want to do a PCB most of the
work is done.

If I know I'm going to pull or swap components I'll make loops in the
adjoing parts around the holes.

This only works for through hole, this I believe is faster than
wire-wrapping even with the PCB step involved.

phil