gEDA-user: Having problems with Gwave

I'm trying to get the simulation suite working for gEDA, but I'm having
a lot of trouble. gSchem and PCB work great, but gnspice and gwave seem
to have problems. gnSpice compiled just fine and seems to work ok, but
the RF Amp sample provided with gEDA errors out of gnspice. So I
switched over to the Two Stage Amp sample which runs ok under ngSpice
and produces an .ac output file as expected. Unfortunately, gwave
refuses to launch. I tried launching it from a console and loading the
file manually, but gwave aborts back to the command line with a message
"gLib ERROR ** unable to allocate 65536 bytes". I'm assuming there's
something I've overlooked in the setup. Ideas?

gEDA and its tools were loaded using Ubuntu 8.04 apt-get. gnSpice was
compiled and installed from source code.