Re: gEDA-user: Need opinion on O-scope

Darrell Harmon wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Robert Butts <r.butts2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I found an oscilloscope on ebay that the asuction ends tonight.  At the risk
>> of gettting someone else interested in it it's at this link:
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/Tektronix-7854-400-Mhz-Digital-Analog-Oscilloscope_W0QQitemZ170253977697QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170253977697&_trkparms=72%3A552%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
>>
>> It's been years so I'm asking everyones input on this scope.
>>
>> Thanks!

> I have the Tek 7903, so some things related to it will apply to the
> 7854. These are 20+ year old oscilloscopes. Expect to have to
> occasionally do a repair. Mine has needed it 3 times. Two were failed
> (shorted) tantalum caps and the other was a connector that was
> corroded. There are some Tektronix proprietary parts in these scopes
> that you will only be able to get from a parts scope. Other than all
> that the Tektronix 7000 series are very nice oscilloscopes. Whenever
> mine dies and can't be fixed, I am not quite sure if I will get
> another or go for a digital scope.
>
> Darrell Harmon

I'll second what Darrell said.  I don't have that exact one, but the 7k
scopes were quality units.  There are a lot of plugins on the market
which can offer you some nice features.  For example the 7A22 plugins
will get you down to 10 uV (yes, that 'u' as in 'micro') per division
which can be pretty nice for some things.

Really I only have 2 complaints about mine.

1)  I only have about a 100 MHz one and I wish it were faster.

2)  It is heavy and my tolerance for heavy things has gone down
significantly over the years.  I drool when I see these lunchbox sized
scopes that weigh about 5 lbs!

-Dan