Re: gEDA-user: e: PCB file accumulation

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 11:46 -0700, Gary L. Roach wrote:
> Hi
>
> At Peter Clifton's  request:
>
> I am using the Debian Testing distro (Lenny?). I used the usual "apt-get
> install gEDA" installation. Everything went fine. I did have some
> trouble getting the rc files streightened out. Other than that it is
> "just another F------ learning experience".
>
> As requested:
>
>     gschem version 1.4.0.20080127
>     pcb version 20080202

The half-loaded reason I asked the version, is to figure out if you
could easily obtain "xgsch2pcb".

Try "apt-get install xgsch2pcb". It is a GUI frontend to the workflow,
which should make things simpler if a "project" for you consists of one
or more flat schematic files producing a PCB board.

> I'm starting the gschem and pcb applications from a KDE Desktop icon.

I wonder if this is why the backups are going in your home-dir. The icon
will most probably launch the app with its working directory set is the
home directory. (Is the board saved in a different dir?)

> I've never done this end of the electronics business before. An
> interesting and sometimes frustrating experience.

Have fun with the gEDA tools. Just look in the FAQ / ask here if you
have difficulties. People are generally quite responsive.

There is a wealth of information already written down:

http://geda.seul.org/wiki/#faqs_and_informal_project_documentation

It has links to some / all of these (to give you an idea of the topics)

http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:faq
http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:faq-gschem
http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:faq-pcb
http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:pcb_tips