Re: gEDA-user: Yet another netlister

Hi R,

I thought about implementing some language for netlist and after all I
decided to go with plain C++ and get rid of using device attribute
unless it is absolutely necessary (such as input/output pin) and give
more strength to user symbol definition relying on the fact that end
user knows what [s]he does. After all, each symbol translated into very
fixed semantic (Refdes node1 node2 name attributes ...).

Major problem - if syntax of gschem files will be changed, then gschem
may loose compatibility with all previously collected works! Thus, if
gschem will change format of output files it will change it in
compatible way or being more strict - only on incremental way. In this
case it would not be hard to make incremental adds to the code, if
algorithm itself is flexible and transparent enough (C++, pcb/spice
output formats, flattening/hierarchical some keys in config file). If
you think of adding more flexibility I will be more than glad to change
the code.

Speaking more about netlisters. Scriptising netlister - adding language
inside language (you translate from .sch lang. to .net lang. using
script) will force netlister to be more "hardcoded" (that is what
happened with gnetlist, is not it?) instead of expectations to make more
flexible semantic.

And, finally, me, as a user, will not be happy to change the script each
time I add new symbol!

In one word - I made my life easier choosing C++ without Perl or
whatever. I think that definite advantage of using script will have tool
that involves highly interactive tasks, for example analyzing result of
simulation using waveform viewer, layout creation tool, P&R.... Even for
schematic entry - I doubt that scriptising schematic capture tool will help!

Regards,
Alex.