Re: gEDA-user: Yet another netlister

On Saturday 01 August 2009, A.Burinskiy wrote:
> And, finally, me, as a user, will not be happy to change the
> script each time I add new symbol!

Good thing you mentioned it.

Unfortunately, the Spice format is very irregular, so dealing
with it is pure hell.   That is one of the reasons for moving to
later formats such as Spectre, Verilog, and VHDL as netlist
formats.  The Spectre format should also be considered
depricated, leaving Verilog and VHDL as netlist formats.
Whether you (collectively) like it or not, this is the industry
trend, and gEDA is not in a position to buck the trend, and can
benefit by running ahead of everyone else.

In conversation last week with the creator of the Spectre
format, he commented on why it is the way it is, and why we
shouldn't use it, and use Verilog or VHDL format instead.
Either of those choices are regular, easy to parse, and provide
for named ports that are not order dependent.

A netlister needs to work for all symbols.  No exceptions.  For
Spice format, you can go nuts with all of the special cases.
There are ways to control it, but you can't fix it completely.

This means the netlister cannot have explicit knowledge of any
particular symbol.