Re: gEDA-user: PCB antenna - short circuit

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 10:27:35 -0700
Dave N6NZ <n6nz@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> John Griessen wrote:
> >> Tamas Szabo wrote:
> >   Since all part of the antenna
> >

> Or....
>
> 1. On the schematic, don't use a symbol, just connect driver pin 1 and
> driver pin 2 with a short on the schematic.  You can draw the "short"
> on the schematic in an artistic fashion to look like an antenna.
>
> 2. In PCB, you will have to pull in the antenna footprint manually.  Or
> I suppose you could have an unconnected symbol on the schematic have
> the antenna as a footprint so that the netlister will include the
> symbol. Or maybe even have an antenna symbol, and let it connect it's
> two pins with a 'net' attribute that ties the two pins together.
> Actually... that last idea is probably best, but you'll have to test
> it... it's been a while since I tried a snakey trick like that.
>
> 3. In PCB, connect the driver pins to the antenna footprint normally.
> The antenna footprint should have the same pin number on both ends.  It
> will look like a short. DRC expects a short.  Everybody is now happy.

You can get away with a symbol in gschem and a footprint in pcb. I hit
the same problem a while ago. The pcb antenna has a driven connection and
a microstrip coil ground connection all connected together DRC wise. The
PCB antenna is also built up from pads, all numbered 1. In
gschem I made an antenna symbol with just one pin (I use a monopole).
Between the decoupling capacitor and pin 1 of the antenna I added a
connection to ground, with a big warning of course. You can shape it like
a microstrip coil to make it more clear.
DRC accepts the shortcut now because in the gschem drawing it is also a
short.

Regards,

Hans

> -dave