Re: gEDA-user: Progress with unified build

On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 23:09 +0100, Peter TB Brett wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> As some of you are aware, one of the blocking items [1] for gEDA/gaf
> 1.5.3 (and eventually 1.6.0) is a unified build system, with the whole
> of the suite distributed in a single tarball.  This will have benefits
> for developers and packagers.

This single tarball goal is a little bit surprising for me.
At least some linux distributions like debian have split packages.
In the past we had a single geda package for Gentoo, which installs all
gaf tools. This makes it impossible for the user to install only desired
tools, so we decided to offer split ebuild for gEDA/gaf 1.4.3 (available
in official tree, but still masked.)

http://packages.gentoo.org/package/geda

I sent a post regarding this topic to this list months ago:

http://archives.seul.org/geda/user/Feb-2009/msg00397.html

Of course there may be good reasons for a single tarball, but I can
imagine people who wants to use gschem to draw some schematics, but do
not intend to use gattrib and gnetlist.

Maybe my understanding is wrong?

Best regards

Stefan Salewski