Re: gEDA-user: Progress with unified build

Stefan Salewski wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 23:09 +0100, Peter TB Brett wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> As some of you are aware, one of the blocking items [1] for gEDA/gaf
>> 1.5.3 (and eventually 1.6.0) is a unified build system, with the whole
>> of the suite distributed in a single tarball.  This will have benefits
>> for developers and packagers.
>>

> This single tarball goal is a little bit surprising for me.
> At least some linux distributions like debian have split packages.
> In the past we had a single geda package for Gentoo, which installs all
> gaf tools. This makes it impossible for the user to install only desired
> tools, so we decided to offer split ebuild for gEDA/gaf 1.4.3 (available
> in official tree, but still masked.)
>
> http://packages.gentoo.org/package/geda
>
> I sent a post regarding this topic to this list months ago:
>
> http://archives.seul.org/geda/user/Feb-2009/msg00397.html
>
> Of course there may be good reasons for a single tarball, but I can
> imagine people who wants to use gschem to draw some schematics, but do
> not intend to use gattrib and gnetlist.

with my package maintainer hat on, I can say I much prefer a single
package and it is easy enough for me to add an option to the package for
including or not including the docs.

To put things in perspective, here is the rough breakdown of installed
sizes:

total:  18.8 Mb

bin total: 4Mb.  This is roughly 2Mb for gschem, 1Mb for gattrib, 200 kB
for gnetlist, 800 kB for the rest.

lib : 3.6 Mb

share : 11.2 Mb.  This is broken down to 5 Mb of documentation and 5.1
Mb of symbols, about 500 kB of gnetlist scheme files, and the rest is
all little files here and there.

So the biggest disk savings (by far) comes from skipping the
documentation and also skipping the symbols.  This gets you down to 8.7
Mb.  gschem+libgeda (which I think we can argue are core requirements
and it doesn't make sense to skip either of these) makes up 5.6 of that
8.7 so gnetlist, the utilities, gattrib, etc only takes about 3 Mb.

I see no real reason why we can't work towards a single unified build
where you can use --disable-foo to disable optional components if so
desired.

 From a developer and user of git or cvs sources point of view, I'd
*much* rather run configure once instead of 9 (!) times.  Also parallel
make jobs can work with the unified system which can really help with
development speed.

-Dan